Today’s STEAM Activity is creating your own underwater “fireworks” in a jar! This is so easy to set up with only a few supplies needed. I’m sure you have everything at home already. My kids were wowed by this experiment!
- Clear jar or tall cup
- Food coloring
- Small mixing bowl
- Fill your jar or cup about 3/4 full
- Measure about 3 tablespoons oil into the small mixing bowl
- Put about 3 drops of each color food coloring into the oil
4. Stir the oil and food coloring until the food coloring breaks into many tiny drops
5. Pour the oil and food coloring mixture into the jar
6. Watch for the fireworks show to start in the water!
STEAM CONCEPTS LEARNED:
- Science: This experiment is all about the difference in density of oil and water. Oil is less dense than water, so it floats on top of the water. Food coloring is water based (so a higher density than oil), so it begins to fall through the oil and dropping down into the water. As it pushes through it creates beautiful bursts of color as it mixes into the water!
Once we finished the experiment my son pulled out his notebook and started writing out the materials and procedure for the experiment. He said he wanted to remember how to do it so he can do this again later. My heart exploded with love then and there. Sometimes it feels like I spend the half the day yelling at them, and sometimes I wonder how I got so lucky to be these kids’ mom.
Just keep pushing moms! They are learning from what we’re teaching them, even if they don’t act like they like it! Are you going to try making fireworks in a jar with your kids soon?