Today’s STEAM Activity is making fluffy cloud slime! This is regular slime with shaving cream added to make it look and feel like a slimy fluffy cloud!
My kids love playing with shaving cream, so when I told them we were adding it to our slime they were so excited! Both were really into helping me make the slime (this isn’t always the case). They helped every step of the way and then played with their fluffy cloud slime all day long!
- Shaving cream
- Washable school glue
- Saline solution
- Food coloring
- Measuring cups
- Large mixing bowl
- Measure and pour 1 cup of glue into the mixing bowl.
2. Measure and pour 3 heaping cups of shaving cream into the mixing bowl.
3. Add food coloring to mixing bowl, and stir ingredients until well combined
4. Add ~ 4 tablespoons of saline solution (start with less and add more as needed).
5. Stir to mix, then when it starts to form a clump, grab it and knead until it becomes a fluffy slime. If it’s too sticky add more saline solution.
6. Give the slime to your kids and let them play and explore its unique texture and physical properties (stretchy, sticky, moldable, fluffy, fun!).
STEAM CONCEPTS LEARNED:
- Science: Slime is a great introduction to science for kids. You made an amazing and fun non-Newtonian fluid! It’s a fluid but acts differently depending on the forces exerted upon it. The polymers in the slime have covalent bonds between the molecules creating a net to catch liquid and keep the slime feeling wet, and the long polymer chains keep it stretchy.
- Math: Always have your kids help you measure the ingredients. This is great math practice of fractions, counting, and addition.
Note: If your kids are anything like mine, they might get the slime on their clothes (and maybe even your fabric chairs or carpet…). It might not come off easily in the washing machine, but don’t worry! Just put a little white vinegar on a washcloth and rub it on the slime and it will come right off the fabric! See my pictures below showing how I cleaned the slime off my daughter’s dress.
We’ve made slime in the past, but this is a new favorite recipe because of the added shaving cream. It took the fun up a notch for my kids, and I hope your kids have fun with this fluffy cloud slime too!